gnu-misc-discuss

Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:09:23 +0200 (CEST)

   > Yes, I know you're a troll, but today I'm quite bored so this is
   > your food for the weekend.

   You've fallen for him, by the way.

I wouldn't say that I have fallen, more like I'm laughing to hard to
be able to get up...

   He has not shown that make breaks any standard.  Yes, it behaves
   differently from Unix' make, but not every quirk of Unix make has
   been standardized.  Thank God, I have to say: I have worked with
   Unix make before Linux even existed (though GNU to some amount),
   and it was an absolute _crock_ what it did with regard to stuff
   that was not strictly standardized.  I pray that they have made its
   behavior more regular in the mean time, but at that time it was
   basically trial and error to get the bugs do what one wanted.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with Unix' make, no need tell me... Still get
the shivers when I think about it.  GNU make is a bliss over Unix'
make and smake in every regard.

Cheers.