gnu-misc-discuss

Re: GPL traitor !

From: JEDIDIAH
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 13:58:48 -0500

On 2009-05-01, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> And?  There are live disks that install in 15 minutes on a good system.
>> There are live disks that take 2 hours (take the TeXlive DVD).  There
>> are differences in layout and effectiveness.
>
> How oddball a situation are you willing to stretch-for to make your
> alleged point?
>
>> As I said: the CD exacerbates the situation.
>
> Running off a CD is slow.

    How slow? A modern DVD drive really isn't that slow. It's not like
we're talking about C64 floppy drive here. Most of the time you should
not be touching the disk (regardless of OS). So the "CD problem" should
be strictly limited to bootup (if they even exist).

    Crummy hardware is crummy hardware.

>> If the result is worse than expected,
>
> What might be "expected" by a newbie who has no experience in such
> matters?  As soon I first heard the CD spin-up when I wanted to do
> something, I would "expect" those kinds of delays when running off a CD.
>
> You lose.
>
>> it might point to the access patterns being worse than expected, and
>> that may well reflect on the installed system performance.
>
> Gibberish.  This is not that difficult a situation for the average
> computer user to interpret.  You're just being ridiculous.

     First you have to get them used to the idea of booting off the CD.

     That will probably be a bit of an initial challenge.

[deletia]

--

        Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
        is genuinely new: culture, like science and              |||

                                 Judge Alex Kozinski
                                 US Court of Appeals
                                 9th Circuit