gnu-misc-discuss

Re: GPL traitor !

From: JEDIDIAH
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:53:49 -0500

On 2009-05-14, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> In gnu.misc.discuss JEDIDIAH <jedi@nomad.mishnet> wrote:
>> On 2009-05-14, Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> That's funny. You're still talking about. What happened to Alan's claim
>>> that the GPL was really easy to understand?
>
>>    The GPL is pretty simple.
>
>>    Plenty of people like to try and weasel out of it though.

[deletia]

>>     You can replace the GPL with any other license or EULA or even straight
>> copyright law and end up with the same "problem".
>
>>     Courts exist because most people aren't honorable enough for just a
>> simple handshake.
>
> Actually, I don't think that's true.  I think most people will honour not
> just the "letter" of a handshake, but the spirit of it too.  It's just
> the minority who won't are nevertheless too numerous to ignore.

    In less contentious forums, it seems that the biggest complainers
against the GPL are those that want to assimilate GPL works into their
own without abiding by any terms. They seem unable to grasp the fact
that they are not just "doing their own thing" but they are exploiting
someone else's work.

--
"Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether
the idea will move the industry forward, they ask,                    |||

                         -- Bill Gates