Re: problems

From: David Ondreka
Subject: Re: problems
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:46:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> > The following .ly erves to demonstrate some of lily's current (1.3.95)
> > errors:

> >   \paper{
> >     \translator{\HaraKiriLyricsVoiceContext}
>
> Please tell us how you implemented this Context, otherwise we
> can't provide any help on your first question.

This is what I put into engraver.ly. It seemed to be the closest analogon
to HaraKiriStaffContext:

HaraKiriLyricsVoiceContext = \translator {
        \LyricsVoiceContext
        \remove "Axis_group_engraver";
        \consistsend "Hara_kiri_engraver";
}

(BTW, what actually is this "\consistsend" ? In the definition of
HaraKiriStaffContext there is a \consists "Instrument_name_engraver" which
I happen to need, but presumably due to the \consistsend I have to specify
it in the paper block again, no?)

> > 1. Roy Rankin recently posted a mail that hara-kiri engraving for
> >    LyricsVoice now works. Unfortunately this is not true in the case
> >    of this example. There's still additional space between the first
> >    system (with one ChoirStaff) and the second system (with two
> >    ChoirStaffs). On the other hand, the hara-kiri engraving *does*
> >    work if the \context ChoirStaff ... \context Staff ... is replaced
> >    by \context Staff only.
>
> > 2. The lyrics belonging to ChoirI are printed above the Staff instead
> >    of below.
>
> That's what you ask for, since you first define the three lyric voices
> VoiceI-1, VoiceI-2 and VoiceI-3 above the staff. If you remove those
> definitions, the lyric is printed below the staff.

Oops, sorry. When I cooked down my original score to this small .ly I
changed the staff names from SI, SII and so on to StaffI, StaffII. And
I obviously forgot one.
Originally I took this construcion from input/test/lyric-phrasing.ly, but
it seems that the

\context Staff = SA \context Voice = VA { s1 }
      \context LyricVoice = "VA-1" { s1 }
      \context LyricVoice = "VA-2" { s1 }

part isn't really necessary at all if I wan't the lyrics below the staff,
is it?

> > 3. The second repeat bar doesn't get printed (never).
>
> This seems to be a common bug for all repeats without alternatives,
> see for example input/test/repeat-volta.ly
>
> > 4. There seems to be some asymmetry in the spacing between lyrics
> >    lines and staff lines, namely the top lyrics line is much closer to
> >    the upper staff than the bottom line to the lower staff in the
> >    second system. Is there a clean solution to get more equal spacing?
> >    (I know there are workarounds such as inserting empty lyrics.)
>
> Just change the property LyricVoiceMinimumVerticalExtent
> (see engraver.ly for the default definition).
>
> > And then I have one more question:
> >
> > How can I influence the spacing between the two ChoirStaffs in the
> > second system?
>
> Using the same property.

Thanks for your answers.
BTW, is there a reason why the context name of LyricsVoiceContext is
LyricVoice? (note the missing "s" in the latter). This difference can
be quite confusing if you want to modify some property of
Lyric(s)Voice in the paper block and blindly try
\translator{\LyricVoiceContext...}. Perhaps the two spellings could be
equalized?

Thanks for your answers, David