Various problems...

From: James Hammons
Subject: Various problems...
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:20:38 -0700

This is just a first pass, and as such is missing lots of phrase marks and
dynamics, etc. (I plan on entering all three movements, including the very
long third movement).  However, I've run into a few problems...

1. Lily doesn't seem to be generating any top margin.  The page number is at
the very top of the page, and the score comes immediately after it
(vertically).  I have '\paper { papersize = "letter"; }' at the very top of
the file and I'm using ghostview (at letter size) to view the results of
ly2dvi -P.

2. Lily seems to waste lots of space at the bottom of the page even though
she could probably fit one more staff on the page (especially page
2)--probably related to #1.

3. Lily prints the tagline twice--once on page three and again on page four.

4. Measure 42:  The dynamic mark ("pp") collides with the textscript ("a
tempo").

5. Measures 63 & 65:  Lily forces me to use a slur instead of recognizing a
tie between the a's at the end of beat 3 and beginning of beat 4.

6. Measures 17 & 37:  Slurs run through the key signatures (they shouldn't).

7. Stem lengths through the piece seem arbitrarily short to me.  For
example, in measure 11, the triplet on beat one has very short stems for the
first two notes.  The triplet that follows it, even though it has the exact
same notes, has longer stems for those two notes (still a bit short for my
taste).  This is the same for the triplets on beats 1, 3, & 4 of the
following measure (there are many, many more examples like this throughout).

This was done with 1.3.88 BTW, I tried 1.3.94 (the latest WinXX version) but
to no avail:

C:\Temp\lilypond\Music>ly2dvi -P moonlight1
ly2dvi (GNU LilyPond) 1.3.94
executing: ash -c "lilypond  moonlight1 2>&1"
lstat(/cygdrive) failed ...
/cygdrive: No such file or directory
GNU LilyPond 1.3.94.
Now processing: `moonlight1.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[8][16][24][32]assertion "gh_string_p (s)" failed: file
"li
ly-guile.cc", line 164
      0 [sig] LILYPOND 1001 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to
LILYPOND.EXE.stack
dump
Aborted
ly2dvi Hmm, I could not find an output file name

I'm sure 1.3.96 is more stable than this...

-- Shamus