Re: cygwin - next step

From: janneke
Subject: Re: cygwin - next step
Date: 25 Oct 2000 09:07:07 +0200

address@hidden (John Sankey) writes:
[I'm ccing this to gmd, as this may be very interesting to the windows
guys that were having all these simple problems this week]

> If you are putting explicit directories in tarballs, I think I'll get

Wow.  You're opening my eyes here.  You suggest that windows people
will/may probably just ignore the directory layout of my tarballs/zips,
collapse the tree into one directory, move that to a non-default
location, and wonder why it doesn't work?

Sigh.  I wish we could just drop this windows stuff...  The ignorant
user could upgrade by typing `apt-get install lilypond1.3'.

> more than bad karma from changing anything! I've reinstalled cygwin
> in the default c:\cygwin and will wait for the new guile-1.3.4
> tarball.Then if I understand you right I will put it in c:\, cd to
> there, then issue tar.

Hmm, hmm.  Probably maybe.  You want to make sure afterwards that
you don't have tar adding the c:/cygwin prefix, resulting in
c:/cygwin/cygwin/.  Or, just do a ln -sf / /cygwin in bash first.

> (Some old DOS programs can't handle a root directory with more
> than 127 entries. That's why I always bundle things up a level when
> I can.)

But LilyPond is important enough for a Top level entry, right ;-)

Greetings,
Jan.

Btw, I've put the new guile-1.3.4 is up; it should be all the same with
thet let-* file renamed.  Good luck.