Re: accidental scoping

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: accidental scoping
Date: 29 Oct 2000 10:32:42 -0500

    >> My problem is that if I have something like:
    >>
    >> fis''8    g''8    a''8    f''8
    >>
    >> the second f is printed with a natural sign.  Is there a way to tell
    >> lily not to do this?

    Juergen> Try:

    Juergen>         fis''8    g''8    a''8
    Juergen>         \property Staff.barSize = 0 \bar "|";
    Juergen>         f''8

    Juergen> This inserts an invisible bar and thus should reset the
    Juergen> accidentals (though I did not test it).  However, this
    Juergen> workaround may possibly insert a little bit of additional
    Juergen> white space.

Actually, it did the worst of all possible things -- the Staff.barSize
property didn't work the way we expected it to, and I got a normal
looking barline, and the natural sign also printed.

Staff.barSize seems to be broken; the example in the manual
looks like a normal size barline, and I tried a couple of other
numbers and they all came out the height of the staff.

You inspired me to try some other kinds of fiddling with barlines, and
I found one that does "work" in the sense of  not printing the
unwanted natural sign.

I say:

        \partial 8;
        fis''8

This is actually visually not too bad in my original context, which
has:

\property Score.defaultBarType="empty"

And it wouldn't be too hard to script putting it in in this context.
However, a real fix that didn't screw up where the "measures" allow
line breaks to happen is a little harder.

It's possible that Mats' suggestion of

        \property Staff.forgetAccidentals = ##t

is in fact the right answer but has a bug at the moment.  Or that
there's some other \property statement that would give the writer
control over this.

I would prefer this to be the case, since I think the user should have
control over accidental printing separately from controlling where
measures begin and end.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139