Re: Line breaking when a note spans a barline

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Line breaking when a note spans a barline
Date: 04 Nov 2000 11:08:13 -0500

    >> I am working around this by inserting an empty barline in a better
    >> place, for instance:
    >>
    >> <stuff> f2 \bar "empty"; g4 f4. e8
    >>
    >> Is there a better way to tell Lily what to do?

    Mats> I think that's the easiest way to add possible breaking points.
    Mats> Won't Lilypond insert the proceeding bar lines at every fourth
    Mats> beat after your last \bar command?

I don't really care where the invisible barlines are, as long as they
don't happen in places like between the dotted quarter and eighth.
The problem is that lily has put one (invisibly) between the quarter
note and the dot, and lily is taking that as permission to break the
line before the eighth note.

    Mats> You could also prevent a break by \bar "" or \nobreak, I
    Mats> think.

No, neither of these seem to work.

    Mats> Have you looked at the \penalty command (\nobreak is equivalent to
    Mats> \penalty 1000000)? Maybe it could be useful. Lilypond will only
    Mats> consider breaking lines at the bar lines and I don't think that
    Mats> the \penalty command itself will add a new possible breaking point,
    Mats> just change how willing Lilypond is to break at a certain bar line.

I can't see that it's even doing that.

    >> I would think that in general when there's a note that spans a barline
    >> that barline is a less good place for a break than a barline that
    >> comes between two notes.  Is there some way to tell Lily this?

    Mats> That's not implemented, as far as I know. Something for the
    Mats> wish-list?

I wish it would happen.  I don't mind inserting the fictitious
barlines when I see the necessity, but this kind of error isn't easy
to spot in proofreading, and it does really annoy people who are
playing from the music.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139