Note/Rest/Stem collision resolution

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Note/Rest/Stem collision resolution
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:13:38 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> I've been using Lilypond 1.3.120 to typeset a Bruhns organ prelude and
> fugue, and I've found that Lilypond gives up very easily when it comes
> to note and rest collision. :-) I get a whole screenfull of "warning:
> too many notes for rest collision" and "warning: Too many clashing
> notecolumns. Ignoring them."
>
> It seems to give up whenever there are more than two voices within an
> octave or so of each other, which is unfortunate since its such a common
> occurance in the music I'm working on right now.

(rest)-collisions are there, but you need to set both stem directions
(use \stemUp and \stemDown) and horizontal-shift (use \shiftOn,
\shiftOnn, \shiftOnnn and \shiftOff).

See also input/test/collisions.ly

> What can I do to improve Lilypond's collision resolution? I have no idea
> where to even start; I don't really understand Lilypond's implementation
> and I know very little Scheme (though I'm willing to learn).

If you feel something is lacking in the collisions, then look at
lily/collision.cc. Don't forget to drink appropriate amounts of
alcohol before or afterwards :-)