RE: easyplay music using lilypond?

From: Steve Nicholson
Subject: RE: easyplay music using lilypond?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:06:48 -0000

Hi David
thanks for your reply.
> Easyplay sounds like keyboard tablature. It was abandoned a thousand

yes it is

> Flyspecks are a lot easier to descry than numbers at the same size. It
> would be a better idea to do regular notation in an
> appropriately larger size. Have you tried that?

Yes agreed, I think this is one of the functions of "e-z play" that it is 3
times bigger than "flyspecks".  I think there are only 4 or 5 staffs per
page rather than 6? or more for normal notation.  I think one of the reasons
of not using larger "flyspeck" notation is not having the ability to create
it(post knowledge of Lilypond) and familiarity with "e-z play".  This
combination of "e-z play" type of notation and "flyspeck" using Lilypond
maybe an ideal way for both new music learners and "e-z play" uses to wean
themselves off "e-z play" by progression of reducing size back to standard
and finally removing the "letters/numbers".

When I was searching for software I came across a couple of others looking
for similar functionality to my dad.  One is Cliff in Canada that we made
great friends with and will be very interested to see the changes that
Han-Wen has made. The another was from a school in Scotland that was looking
for a way of creating musicsheets for pupils learning music, unfortunately
he has never replied to any of my messages.  I will try again now there is
something that maybe of use to them.

I also contacted a couple of commercial companies distributing sheetmusic
software over the internet on the possibilities of adding the ability to
create e-z play notation.  None have bothered replying, again this is why I
love the open source community.  Maybe by making this request I've helped
create something that will be used by those learning music and progress on
to really music quicker as well as those that are very knowledgeable in
music.

Thanks and have a fantastic day.

Steve Nicholson (UK)
on behalf of Dave Nicholson(NZ)

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient of any part of this e.mail
please notify us immediately by telephone on +44 ( 0 ) 20 7896 8484
or send it back to address@hidden .
Do not disclose the contents to any other person or take copies.
Please also delete the message from your system.
Views expressed in the message are those of the individual sender,
except where specifically stated to be the views of
FOCUS Central London.

FOCUS Central London Ltd, Centre Point, 103 New Oxford Street,
London, WC1A 1DR
Tel: 020 7896 8484  Fax: 020 7896 8686
E-mail: address@hidden
Web: www.focusnet.uk.com
Registered in England No. 3295148. A company limited by guarantee