Re: Towards a better license for Mutopia

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Towards a better license for Mutopia
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:23:07 -0500

Bernd Warken wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 10:24:27AM -0500, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> > It is very important that a patent matter is a civil case in the US,
> > while a copyright violation is tried in a criminal court. You don't
> > *want* an attourney for a copyright matter unless you are the defendant.
>
> Good point.  So using a free license is quite safe.
>
> > Just because an
> > attourney represents to you that he can assist you is not enough reason
> > to retain him.
>
> Lawyers can be helpful for creating new legal infrastructures, as is
> necessary for new free licenses.
Certainly a better use of volunteer help than filing a copyright action.
:-)

> > OTOH, it is unlikely that being in the right will get you anywhere with
> > a patent case. The system is broken.
>
> You are right, but this is not limited to patents.
>
> > I know Judge Jackson, who proposes to dismantle M$. He is as good as
> > they come. But any judge who lacks the basic wisdom to understand that a
> > death sentence is wrong is not ok. They think it will never come back to
> > them. They have themselves mixed up with God, a pitfall for followers of
> > someone else's religion. ;-)
>
> Contrary to what Americans are used to, I think that law and
> politics do not have anything to do with God.  The Pilgrims have stolen
> God's Own Country, so now America belongs to someone else, seemingly
> quite barbaric when compared to Europe.  Death sentence
> was removed even in Bavaria, the most tribal place in Europe ;-)
And most non-european countries as well.

> > I never felt more as if I were living in the worst days of Imperial Rome
> > than
> > a few days ago, when the media was making a disgusting display over the
> > "heroic" death of a popular charioteer (NASCAR). And bear in mind that
> > Bush didn't steal the election, it was stolen
> > *for* him. He is no Napoleon, fortunately. Lyndon Johnson OTOH seized
> > power by murdering his predecessor, so Bush wasn't the first, either.
> >
> So maybe, Gore gave way to survive ;-)
An interesting speculation, but I don't think so. Gore's election would
not have made any difference.
Instead of having an enemy in the white house, we would have an enemy in
the guise of a friend. The same interests control both political parties
in the US.

>  He is invited to come to Europe,
> which is in a very healthy political evolution :-)

Make sure he knows about that. ;-)

> > The USA will be at war, probably in Colombia, within the year. We are
> > already, but I mean a serious escalation. A big war is the only way that
> > Bush can get any money from rich people to delay economic meltdown.
>
> Today, people aren't as stupid as they were before the Vietnam war.

They voted for Bush didn't they? Oh, you mean outside the USA? The rest
of the world has made no effort to indict as war criminals Bush,
Clinton, Powell, and Cheyney for murdering, *so far*, 2 million Iraqis,
mostly women and children, in the noble cause of saving the money of a
murdering, torturing tyrant who just happened to have $300,000,000,000.
I am *not* wrong about the number of zeros. I heard it live from the
Emir's firstborn son, who was 26 years old at the time and an Oxford
scholar. It was news, but the story was suppressed.

> Daddy Bush was melted down after his Iraq engagement, so Bush the Kid
> will make the same experience.  Let the children play ;)

Ouch.

> > Cheer up! The ride is easiest on the way down. :-)
>
> Don't panic.  Riding down is only a special case of the more general
> principle that says "Follow the geodesics!" So by choosing the right
> starting angle, you decide where you will float.  One can use the momentum
> of the downfall to get to somewhere else.

Like Arabia?

As much as I have enjoyed this dialogue, do you think that we may be
*just beginning* to wander just a *hair* off topic?