Re: Slurs Rests Params Spacing Tab Score

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Slurs Rests Params Spacing Tab Score
Date: 12 Mar 2001 21:56:29 +0100

David Raleigh Arnold <address@hidden> writes:

> One of my happiest discoveries is that in the stable version foo =
> gub_gub = 100.0  works, which I find amazing, and I hope that never
> changes, since it can save *a lot* of typing at collision time.
>
> Can I turn off snap to stem for individual slurs, to get this, for
> example?

Yes.  For this:

> ===============
> | -tie | slur |
> |/    \|/    \|
> *      *      *
> *      *      *
> |\    /|\    /|
> | slur | ~tie |
> ===============

you'd do:

    \score {
      \context Staff \notes <
        \context Voice=one \relative c'' {
          \property Voice.Stem \set #'direction = #1
          \property Voice.Tie \set #'direction = #1
          \property Voice.Slur \set #'direction = #1
          \property Voice.Slur \set #'attachment = #'(head . head)
          c8~c()c
        }
        \context Voice=two \relative c'' {
          \property Voice.Stem \set #'direction = #-1
          \property Voice.Tie \set #'direction = #-1
          \property Voice.Slur \set #'direction = #-1
          \property Voice.Slur \set #'attachment = #'(head . head)
          a8()a~a
        }

      \paper { linewidth = 40*\staffspace; }
    }

> when I have to.  Since you allow nested slurs now, this is sometimes
> necessary to take advantage of that feature.

We only support nesting 2 deep: one slur, one phrasing mark.

> Why can't I enter rc'4 to put r4 at c' on the staff?

That syntax would be difficult, but you can do:

   \property Voice.Rest \set #'staff-position = #4
   r4

> but I wanted to experiment with rulethickness,
> because a printer doesn't print lines, it prints dots.

Huh?  Anyway, in 1.3 you can set

   \property Voice.Stem \set #'thickness = #1.0

the default is 0.8 staff-line-thickness, which seems to work well on
printers that print lines :-)

> Is it still necessary to enter time values in lyrics?

No, there's now \addlyrics.

> Why?

Specifying durations is lots simpler to implement, which just means
that printing lyrics could be made available earlier.

> You no longer have to have \score at the end of the ly file, yes?

Huh?  No, if you want use any definitions in \score, you must define
them first, ie, before you use them.

> And still have multiple score blocks in one file if I want?

Yes.