midi question

From: David J. Roundy
Subject: midi question
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:16:12 -0800

I have a problem, which may be a timidity problem, but I'm not sure.  When
lily outputs midi and I play it with timidity, some of the voices drop
out.  I'm asking about it here (rather than on a timidity list) because
when I download examples of midi output off the web, or run example .ly
files, it seems to work out fine.

I tried using timidity out output to a sound file, and then play that file,
but it seems to have a bug when outputting WAVE or AIFF files (maybe an
endianness bug related to running on powerpc?), which give me awfull
shrieking sounds.  When I output to .au format, all the voices seem to be
there, but of course the sound quality is terrible.

So I was wondering whether there is some subtlety in lily that affects the
difficulty timidity might have playing the resulting midi file.  Also, if
anyone has an idea as to how I might get around this problem, I'd
appreciate it.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/