Re: Jazz chord chaos

From: Laurent Martelli
Subject: Re: Jazz chord chaos
Date: 01 Apr 2001 14:43:47 +0200

  Jeff> Think of an analogy with TeX.  TeX is the best system of math
  Jeff> notation that anyone has formalized into a typesetting system.
  Jeff> Nobody ever said TeX had to _understand_ its equations.  Just
  Jeff> typeset them.  There are plenty of programs which are capable
  Jeff> of writing equations, simplifying expressions, coming up with
  Jeff> proofs, etc, but these fall totally outside the abstraction
  Jeff> barrier of TeX.

  Jeff> The same should be true for a music typesetter _unless_ (and
  Jeff> this must be explicit) you care about MIDI performance of
  Jeff> chord symbols, which I don't, since it's a totally ill-posed
  Jeff> problem for jazz chords.

I almost fully agree with you. However, I think it's convenient to
have to kind chord-styles because some people are used to 7M and
others to the triangle notation, which means the same thing. And it's
a lot easier to just change the style to have the typesetting suit
your habits rather than change all the symbols in the chords.

--
Laurent Martelli
address@hidden              http://www.placenet.org/~laurent