Identifier syntax change from 1.3.43 to 1.3.147

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Identifier syntax change from 1.3.43 to 1.3.147
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:32:48 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Why must identifiers now be alphabetic characters only?
> I find this a huge restriction as I commonly use the syntax below and
> have a fair body of work that uses numbers and underscores for clarity
> and readability and meaning.

Sorry, the underscores and the numbers necessitate crude hacks to get
identifier references working. You can use letters (A, B, C .. ) to
replace numbers and mixed caps to replace underscores.

I hope that we can piggy-back on the Scheme environment in the future
for more general naming schemes. For now, perhaps we can change it
into a warning.

> Regards,
> Roy Rankin
>
> BTW should the "}" be in the error message?

thanks for the report, i'll look into it.