Re: difficulties running LilyPond

From: Jérémie Lumbroso
Subject: Re: difficulties running LilyPond
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:31:06 +0200

Hello,

D> So I made the download, installed everything properly and tried
D> to set up my first typeset-music by following your instructions
D> given under the title "Running LilyPond". And just here are lurking
D> the problems: After having typed your example score in Window's
D> Notepad and opening the "GNU Lilypond"-Window it says:

D> "address@hidden ~$_"

This  is  normal, it's the information with which you logged
in Windows : [your address@hidden of your computer]
The  tilde  (~)  means  that  you're  in your home directory
(/cygwin/home/standard/), and the $ means it's a prompt. The
_ is the cursor.

If  you want to get to your base directory (I suppose that's
were you have test.ly) type "cd ../..". I highly suggest you
read  http://lilypond.com/wiki?TroubleshootingWindows to get
acquainted with the bash shell (and eventually change).

D> And after typing the instruction "ly2dvi -P test.ly"
D> I see the message :

D> "Bash: /usr/lilypond-1.4.5/wrappers/ly2dvi: bad interpreter: No such file
D> or directory"

D> and nothing else happens.

I'm by no means an expert, so don't take my word for it, but
this  looks as if the program that executes bash batch files
isn't  installed  (is  that  possible?).  In  which  case, I
suggest you type the following (be careful of typos) :

python "$(cygpath -w ""/usr/lilypond-1.4.5/bin/ly2dvi.py"")" -P test.ly

It's the equivalent of what the file you were trying to call
does.  It  may  be a bit long to remember, but do not forget
any  ".  I  hope this works, and if it does, I wonder what's
happening...

--
Best regards,
 Jérémie                            mailto:address@hidden