gnu-regexp-users

Re: [Regexp] Progress towards Classpath project inclusion?

From: Wes Biggs
Subject: Re: [Regexp] Progress towards Classpath project inclusion?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:01:49 -0700

Richard Bullington-McGuire wrote:

Last December, Wes Biggs announced that the gnu.regexp software was hopefully going to become part of GNU Classpath. Where does this stand?

This software has been very useful to me over the years, it would be good to see it live on in that way.

Hi Richard -- there hasn't been much (any?) buzz about it, but gnu.regexp is now part of the Classpath distribution. I haven't been heavily involved in the process since making sure all the paperwork was in order to assign copyright to the FSF, but according to tags on the files in http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/classpath/classpath/gnu/regexp/, it's been part of the Classpath distro since release 0.08 (the current release is 0.10).

Additionally, gnu.regexp is the backing implementation behind Classpath's implementation of the java.util.regex APIs since 0.09 (based on a bridge layer I wrote a while back). In this respect there is not yet 100% compatibility with some of the advanced features of JDK 1.4 expressions, but it is a suitable drop-in replacement for most standard uses of REs.

Dalibor Topic is now maintaining the code for Classpath.

Regards,

Wes