gnu-regexp-users

[Regexp] Finding failure point in RE

From: mitch-GNU RegExp List
Subject: [Regexp] Finding failure point in RE
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:14:29 -0500

I posted this question a while but got no response, so I'll try once more...

Is there a way (or plans to develop a way) to discover where in a regular
expression that matching failed (i.e. didn't find a match)?  Or alternately,
but not as useful, where in the regular expression is the last point that
successfully matched the input string?

Background:  I created a system that uses regular expressions to match
against the contents of incoming emails that contain output from various
status checks, operational tasks, etc.  When a match fails, it is a time
consuming processes to discover where the failure point is.  A index into
the regular expression (or input string I guess) that showed where the match
failed would be very useful and time saving.

Thanks for any ideas and replies.

Mitch Claborn