gnu-search-hackers

[Gnu-search-hackers] Re: Search facility

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Gnu-search-hackers] Re: Search facility
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:35:40 +0200

Richard Stallman writes:

 > What state did it get stopped in?  Did you succeed in getting them set
 > up to work on it?

        Helios installed and got familiar with the 3.2 version of htdig
on a separate machine. To my knowledge that's more or less what was done.

 > I have cc'd Jonas because he did some things to improve the results of
 > searches, in July.  I have cc'd Brad on general principles.

        Nice, what kind of improvements ?

 > By the way, I think I recall that we decided to replace ht::dig with
 > another search facility, early in 2001.  What actually happened?  Does
 > anyone remember?

        It was aspseek. We did some tests & all and at some point they
said they would happily maintain a remote installation. There were potential
patent problems with their software (they claim to use the patented google
algorithms). It did not go further than testing their demo + asking for
some explanations.

        Cheers,