Re: Proposal: Installing GNU

From: Wolfgang Jaehrling
Subject: Re: Proposal: Installing GNU
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:43:57 +0200

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 02:04:28PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    The installation is the first aspect of a system that most users
>    get in contact with.  That is not the only reason why it is
>    critical: If the installation fails, the user will not be able to
>    use the system at all.
>
> I must disagree on one small point.  It is far more important to have
> _something_ to install, then just having a installer.

Well, yes.  I was thinking about it from the theoretical viewpoint of
actually having a complete system anyway. :)

> Other then that, what you have outlined seems like a good idea.  Even
> if I feel that this issue should wait, I will still ask you if you
> want to work on it.  Would you like to work on this?

I will work on it at least by collecting ideas and writing them down.
However, I will not (yet) work on code before I am sure about certain
aspects.  And as you noted, there are more important things to do
first.  But I am interested in hacking "GNU Setup" later.  (The name
is boring, and suggestions are welcome.)

Cheers,
Wolfgang

--
Repeating false statements makes them true.