Re: GNU System Explanation

From: Ben Asselstine
Subject: Re: GNU System Explanation
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:40:04 -0000

On 2/12/06, Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
>     - Missing support for exotic (but *needed* in things like an
>    unionfs'd GNU/Hurd LiveCD) operations like mkdev etc etc.
>
> Why is this really needed?  Can't you just make /dev or whatever a
> writable spot using tmpfs?
>
> Cheers.

Depending on the architecture of the GNU System (which I haven't seen
any documents on, and I don't know if any have been produced), the
architects of the GNU System may wish to incorporate unionfs at a very
early stage to union some read-only media with a ramdisk (tmpfs
doesn't work yet).  The architects of the GNU System might not wish
this feature for their system, and decide to workaround the missing
functionality in unionfs.

If this functionality is not wanted by others in this forum, I
certainly wouldn't be surprised -- there are probably other larger
problems (that don't have workarounds) to address.  However I will
continue to lobby Gianluca to add these exotic features into unionfs
so that my personal play-project can move forward.

regards,

Ben