Re: GNU System News

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: GNU System News
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:36:30 +0200

Jakub Daniel wrote:
> I would like to ask how does it come that gnu.org doesnt bring any
> news about GNU System as a whole OS.

Lack of manpower, mostly.  Also note that only a few of the very few
active GNU webmasters have a (competent or not) view about the
development of the GNU system.  It takes a lot of time and effort for
someone to become familiar (and keep up!) with all the improvements
for a given period in order to write an informed summary that doesn't
look silly.

> No focus on Hurd,

Hurd hasn't been on focus for quite some time, AFAIK.  The Hurd folks
have started their own "What's New" page, which is great.

> no apparent links to such informations, nor to GNOME afaik.

As Alfred said, perhaps it's best to follow planet.gnu.org.  Most
releases and important news (i.e. every Savannah News entry for every
syndicated project) appear there.  There were posts about improvements
to the toolchain, Guile, and recently someone started to post
(semi-atomatic?) summaries about GNOME, which are quite nice.