Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:12:11 -0700 (PDT)

Alfred M. Szmidt asked:
> I am not sure what benefit it would bring to the user.

It would be different. It would be highly portable. I personally also like the
idea that, when someone wants a program, they're automatically given the
"complete and corresponding source code" at the time.

> Resolving
> library dependencies is always cumbersome, and we should aim so that
> anyone can install GNU.

It needn't be hard. Indeed, I'm sure that the installer/package manager/whatever
could be made to handle dependencies. Source-based doesn't *have* to mean
manually compiling everything yourself.