Re: Introducing GNU Guix

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: Introducing GNU Guix
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 11:56:41 +0100

> I was part of generating the idea to do GSRC, so I can say why I still
> think it's important given what I had in mind then.

Thanks for this explanation! Actually, in some ways I hadn't found/been
given such a clear explanation about the package's original intended
purpose(s) so I interpreted it on my own. I think this will help me
clear up how I talk about GSRC.

> * Periodic coordinated releases are incentives; they give maintainers
>   and contributors reasons to take action at particular times and
>   therefore might help get things done.

This is true. I guess since it changed to using GARStow as its
foundation it has changed a bit to have a sort of rolling-release
schedule with periodic (quarterly) snapshots. I've only released one of
those snapshots so far but I'll keep this explanation in mind when I'm
communicating about the snapshot releases. For example, I should really
highlight which packages were updated in this release, which builds I
fixed, and the list of known build failures.

> * Since the build process is uniform, it also serves as a kind of
>   quality control step. At the very least, some build errors will be
>   caught; but as the project develops, maybe code that is too buggy in
>   certain ways will be left out of the release.

Yes, this is something that I've completely immersed myself into lately
(I count 66 uses of the word "fix" in the bzr log since the last
release). GSRC build scripts (well, presumably Guix ones too) form great
litmus tests of a package's adherence to the standards. If they stick to
them, I can just fill in a template...otherwise, I have to roll up my
sleeves and dive in.

> * Helps provide an incentive (by way of clear sensible benefits) for
>   maintainers to use the common infrastructure. "If you host your code
>   on ftp.gnu.org, then your package can be included in the GNU Source
>   Release."

In effect I guess we're a biiit more flexible than that since there are
lots of scripts for projects hosted elsewhere. I'd rather it say
something like "If you host your code on ftp.gnu.org, announce new
versions via info-gnu, and so on, you're more likely to have your
package kept up-to-date in GSRC"

> * Helps provide a clearer image of what GNU is. They provide publicity
>   opportunities and give potential users something they can wrap their
>   mind around -- GNU is this code. Better and more grokkable image means
>   more contributors, more users, and more advocates.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way. Again, I think this is
something that should affect how I talk about GSRC. Thanks!

> So, I think this is an important project with different benefits than a
> packaging system designed specifically to deploy and undeploy different
> configurations of software, and I hope you can continue working on it.

In some ways, it's the perfect project for me. I have no intention of
abandoning it!

-brandon