gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #14000] Removing the utility version numbers

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #14000] Removing the utility version numbers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 01:56:39 +0000 (UTC)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 10%
             Assigned to: makhlaghi
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

The utility version numbers were defined to clearly mark changes particular to
the utility in each release. This was possible when the version numbers were
defined by hand: the plan was that on each release (based on the NEWS file) we
could keep utility versions unchanged or increase them internally (by setting
SPACK_VERSION in each utility's `main.h'). In theory this would help people
see if the utilities they use most have changed or not easily.

However, recently we have moved to generating Gnuastro's version number from
Git tags in the project history (task #13991). It is still possible to set
SPACK_VERSION for each utility manually in each official tag. However, the
utility versions are largely meaningless if users choose to use unofficial
versions. So to encourage users to remain up to date (and use unofficial
versions after they pull from the repository) I propose that we remove the
utility version numbers. Please give your comments so it is implemented before
the official 0.1 release.

The utilities in Gnuastro were modelled on GNU Coreutils and they also don't
have utility versions.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14000>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/