gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #13765] Convert static libraries to shared librar

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #13765] Convert static libraries to shared libraries
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 00:54:53 +0000 (UTC)

Update of task #13765 (project gnuastro):

        Percent Complete:                     30% => 40%

Follow-up Comment #14:

The library Makefile was updated to combine all the `*.c' sources into one
library that is also installable. This update has been pushed
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/commit/?id=547eb4f604b59b8487200b15ffad0462bdd20ee3>
to the main repo. See the commit message and diffs for the details.

During `make distcheck', close to the end, two kinds of warnings come up (I
have changed the starting of the address to `/topdir/' for readability).

This one comes up once (after trying to install the library)

libtool: warning: remember to run 'libtool --finish
/topdir/gnuastro/build/gnuastro-0.1.93-547e/_inst/lib'

and this one comes up after each utility:

+verbose+
libtool: warning:
'/topdir/gnuastro/build/gnuastro-0.1.93-547e/_build/sub/lib/libgnuastro.la'
has not been installed in
'/topdir/gnuastro/build/gnuastro-0.1.93-547e/_inst/lib'

These are just warnings, so `make distcheck' finished successfully. From this
2006 libtool mailing list post
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2006-12/msg00009.html> and the
reply <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2006-12/msg00011.html> to
it, it appears that this is an expected effect when you change the
installation directory after configuration (which `make distcheck' does in its
tests). So there is no problem.

If there was something we could do to ignore these warnings it would be great,
since other possible warnings would be more clearly seen. But for the time
being we will have to accept these warning messages.

We also have to write some tests for the libraries. I personally checked some
functions in `txtarray' and `linkedlist' in a tiny C program which I wrote in
another directory and they worked. But tests are necessary and have to be
added to be checked during `make check'.

As discussed in the commit message, this does not complete this task because
the book also has to be updated (a full and probably long chapter has to be
added explaining everything about using the libraries and documenting the
functions and headers and etc).

But for the time being, this is commit and comment on Savannah are just one
step of progress towards these goals. If you get the chance to install
libraries and try them out it would be great to share your feedback ;-).

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?13765>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/