gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Qucs-devel] Qucs plugin for GNUCap

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Qucs-devel] Qucs plugin for GNUCap
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 17:05:06 +0100

Guilherme Brondani Torri <address@hidden> wrote:

>On 05/07/13 10:23, Richard Crozier wrote:
>> On 05/07/2013 08:10, Raghunandan Mudadla wrote:
>>> Hello I am Raghunandan. I am working on a Qucs plugin for gnucap I
>am
>>> presently looking at the .sch files uploaded at the website but al
>>> told me that Qucs uses another format to drive the simulator can u
>>> please tell me the details.
>>>
>>> Thank You.
>>
>> Hi Raghunandan,
>>
>> You should CC the qucs and gnucap developers mailing lists (you will
>> need to sign up for the mailing list here:
>don't
>> depend on just me to answer any questions.
>>
>> Yes, the .sch files which are edited by the GUI are converted to Qucs
>
>> netlists. The simulation backend, called qucsator, takes these
>> netlists as input. You can find some examples of the Qucs netlist
>> format in the pdf here:
>>
>> http://qucs.sourceforge.net/docs/spicetoqucs.pdf
>>
>> The following may also have some useful information:
>>
>> http://qucs.sourceforge.net/docs/equations.pdf
>>
>> Someone also wrote a python program to convert .sch to the netlist
>> format, but I haven't tried it see:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/qucs/feature-requests/21/
>>
>> and possibly this (I don't know if it is the same thing)
>>
>> https://github.com/zonca/python-qucs
>>
>> Unfortunately there is not at present an easy way to convert a
>> schematic into a netlist for viewing. The only way to do this
>> currently is to run a simulation, then view the last netlist created.
>
>> I am currently working on an option to do this, but will take a
>while.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Richard
>>
>Hello,
>
>I pushed a new branch 'command-line'.
>It adds to Qucs a very simple command line parser that implements the
>desired schematic to netlist conversion.
>
>You can use it from the command line as follows:
>$qucs --netlist --i=input_schematic.sch --o=output_netlist.txt
>
>I tested on a handful of schematics I had around. It generates exactly
>the same netlist created prior to simulation.
>I haven't tested it extensively thou. I don't have any schematic
>involving Spice for instance.
>The GUI also seems to not be affected by any new bugs.
>
>This is just a proof of concept, ideas about a proper parser, argument
>handling, and actual implementation are all open to discussion...
>
>Please have a look at it and I'm looking forward to hear you ideas.
>
>Best regards,
>Guilherme

Hi Guilherme,

This looks good, the approach i was taking was to reuse the logic for running a
simulation, just allowing the user to choose the file name, and stopping after
the netlist was generated. I was adding a function to simmessage to do this. Is
it still worth doing this?

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.