gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap Comprehensive Help System Implementation Detai

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap Comprehensive Help System Implementation Details
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 20:39:57 -0400

On Monday 02 June 2014, al davis wrote:
> Why not do both? .. simple help built in and full manual in
> separate files.  The simple one can just print the
> string.  The  full manual in separate files should be in
> texinfo format.  You will need a way to install it, find it,
> search it, .....

Expanding on that ....

Suppose we have a full manual.  GNU prefers Texinfo format.  The
old pre-plugin gnucap manual was in LaTeX format, dating back to
pre-GNU days.

Each code file can have a short help message.  Much more can be
in the full manual.  If the full manual is installed, an
advanced help command can index it.  There could even be two
help command plugins, a simple one and a more advanced one that
is installed with the full manual.