gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] fixes and subcircuits

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] fixes and subcircuits
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 10:56:10 -0400

On Monday 07 September 2015, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> you are right about e_subckt, the distance between
> SUBCKT_BASE and DEV_SUBCKT is small enough, and i could just
> use the existing base. however, i still need an inheritable
> MODEL_SUBCKT. do you agree? i will prepare another patch..

sort of.

Before the use of the dispatcher, I would have agreed
completely.  I considered it, but got distracted to make the
dispatcher system and plugin system.

Now, I think the whole MODEL hierarchy is unnecessary baggage
that should be phased out.  It's a remnant of SPICE.  The
uninstantiated static element that is cloned substitutes for the
MODEL.  The ability to have behavioral models in commons (bm_*)
is another way to deal with different behavior for the same type
(SPICE levels, VHDL multiple architectures for an entity).

So perhaps all uses of MODEL_SUBCKT should become DEV_SUBCKT?