Re: [open-cobol-list] feature request: COBOL-85: "/" in indicator area m

From: Thomas Biehler
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] feature request: COBOL-85: "/" in indicator area marks a comment line
Date: Tue Nov 4 02:35:16 2003

Hi Keisuke,

yes that is right. The feature is already implemented in CVS.
(= but only in the open-cobol "-fixed" Option-Format =
   Cobol 85 Fixed-Reference Format !?)

I have tried a actuell (updated) sandbox from CVS at Sourceforge before
i have posted my request.
But my error was not to list all compiler options i have used:
   cobc ... -std=cobo85 -free  ...

My problem is, that i try to compile unmodified "Micro Focus Cobol" Sources
(SOURCEFORMAT"FREE"; long Lines!) which contains mostly COBOL-85 Standard
Language Level Statements.
The SOURCEFORMAT"FREE" from Micro-Focus (X/Open Standard !?) means
that the first column is the indicator area. And there are "*" and also "/" a
comment marker!

Now, i am not sure what the exact meaning of the "-free" option from
open-cobol is at the current implementation.
Perhaps you can explain it (documentation) or change it a little bit for a
simpler usage.

Here are some of my observations: ("-free" Option used:)
- "*"    in the first column  denotes a comment line (aka SOURCEFORMAT "FREE")
- "*>"  (from Cobol 2002 -Free Reference-Format; floating indicator) work's as

          a comment line
- "/"    does in the first column does not work as a comment marker!

- "free" Option  and -std=cobol85
  ==> AUTHOR, DATE-WRITTEN, DATE-COMILED generate compile errors !!! (Oops !?)
        (-free has precedence over -std=cobol85 ?! ; IMHO a error)
- "fixed Option  and -std=cobol85"
  ==> AUTHOR, DATE-WRITTEN, DATE-COMILED are (obsolete)
         regulary Cobol-Elements (Comment's)
         (this is the right meaning for COBOL85-Language Level)

> > Thomas Biehler wrote:
> > the slant  "/" in the indicatior area make's a line to a comment line
> > in ANSI-Standard 85. (Chapter IV-42  7.2.4 Comment Lines
> > in ANSI INCITS 23-1985 (R2001))
> > The only difference to the asterik "*" is page ejection prior to
> > printing the comment line in the source listing!
> > So it should be very easy to implemented.
> > (= no source listing in open-cobol in the current version's)
>
> Keisuke wrote:
> This feature has already been implemented in CVS.  Try the latest
> snapshot: http://www.nurs.or.jp/~knishida/open-cobol-0.23.30.tar.gz
>

> Keisuke

Thank you for your assistance.

Bye