[open-cobol-list] 0 bytes in Cobol strings

From: David Korn
Subject: [open-cobol-list] 0 bytes in Cobol strings
Date: Thu Apr 1 14:44:01 2004

Some files that I have copied over from the MVS have initialization such as

000260     05  FILLER                        PIC X(55) VALUE                  40
000270       '00SDN01SOFTWARE DEFINED NETWORK 0101INTERNAL
address@hidden@address@hidden@^L..'.

Where ^@ is the 0 byte.  This causes the compiler to generate warning
message like
        I8SM3900.COB:809: warning: file unterminated by a newline
and sometimes leads to syntax errors because I suspect characters after
the 0 are being ignored.

Can the compiler be modified to handle this or is there some change
to the input that I can do to get this to work?

David Korn
address@hidden