RE: [open-cobol-list] INSPECT CONVERTING ?

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] INSPECT CONVERTING ?
Date: Sun Apr 4 23:21:06 2004

I think OpenCOBOL is not conforming if it "continues" to try and convert a
"position" after it is once converted.  The relevant rule (I *think*) from
the 2002 Standard is:

"Whenever a match occurs, tallying or replacing takes place as described in
general rules 12 and 15. The character position in the data item referenced
by identifier-1 immediately to the right of the rightmost character position
that participated in the match is now considered to be the leftmost
character position
of the data item referenced by identifier-1, and the comparison cycle starts
again with the first literal-1."

In other words - once you do a conversion on a position, you don't look
there again.