[open-cobol-list] CVS update (11) - Add bin/cobcrun

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] CVS update (11) - Add bin/cobcrun
Date: Mon Nov 29 03:47:02 2004

Added bin directory with contents :
cobcrun.c
Makefile.am
Makefile.in
ChangeLog

Syntax : cobcrun MYPROG [arguments to MYPROG]
Assumes all app prgrams have been compiled as modules.

To get this into the configure/make process, I had to
run this through aclocal/autoconf/automake, so there are
minor (auto-genned) changes to several files (mainly Makefile.xx).

The Makefile.am looks like this :

bin_PROGRAMS = cobcrun
cobcrun_SOURCES = cobcrun.c
AM_CFLAGS = $(COB_EXPORT_DYN) -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-format-y2k
cobcrun_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS) $(COBC_CFLAGS) -I$(top_srcdir)
cobcrun_LDADD = $(LIBCOB_LIBS) \
$(top_builddir)/libcob/.libs/libcob_la-call.o \
$(top_builddir)/libcob/.libs/libcob_la-numeric.o \
$(top_builddir)/libcob/.libs/libcob_la-common.o \
$(top_builddir)/libcob/.libs/libcob_la-screenio.o \
$(top_builddir)/libcob/.libs/libcob_la-fileio.o \
$(top_builddir)/libcob/.libs/libcob_la-strings.o \
$(top_builddir)/libcob/.libs/libcob_la-move.o \
$(top_builddir)/libcob/.libs/libcob_la-termio.o

Of note here is :
COB_EXPORT_DYN which is pulled out of the top level configure from
"export_dynamic_flag_spec".
I was hoping I could use "whole_archive_flag_spec", in which case we could have used the archive library instead of the components of the library, but libtool does it wrongly
(Reported elsewhere on the Web).

Also the complete OC runtime library is statically linked in (We don't have any other choice). This has the advantage that, after a configure/make (but not install), we can test an app with this OC by calling the compiler from the cobc directory and running it by calling
cobcrun from the bin directory without disturbing any installed OC.
This is possible while the OC runtime library is completely within cobcrun (and symbols exported) so that no reference should be made at runtime to an installed shared OC library. (I hope)

No other existing functionality is changed/disturbed by this.

Please test and report back.

Roger