RE: [open-cobol-list] Re: RES: line continuation problem

From: Bill Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] Re: RES: line continuation problem
Date: Wed Feb 9 13:59:01 2005

Sorry for not commenting earlier.  The problem (as I see it) in the original
code (and why I do NOT think it is ANSI/ISO conforming) was that the
continued (2nd) line ended with a quotation mark in column 72.  The next
line had a continuation mark (hyphen) in column 7 - but the first non-blank
character in B-margin was a period (full-stop).

I haven't searched for the "reference" yet within the '85 Standard, but I do
NOT believe that one can use the continuation area to "continue" BETWEEN a
quotation mark separator and the following period separator.

I could be mistaken on this (and I have asked some people at MF if this is a
"documented" extension there) but I certainly do not THINK that ANSI/ISO '85
allows this.  Neither would the '02 Standard when "fixed form reference
format" is in effect.