[open-cobol-list] File io.

From: Bill Klein
Subject: [open-cobol-list] File io.
Date: Thu Jan 5 12:09:12 2006

see below

> -----Original Message-----
> 1) ALTERNATE KEY.
> The COBOL standard (85 and 2002) only
> allows one data item to be specified.

True for '85; not true for '02.
  See "SOURCE IS" syntax, starting on page 210 and more detail on 217.

> 2) CRT.
> As stated it is pending. It can only be implemented
> when we have screen handling in place.
> (On my TODO list)
> Note this was not in the 85 standard (AFAIK), but is
> in the 2002 standard.

It was also in the X/Open CAE (from the 80's and later)

> 3) LOCK MODE.
> This was not in the 85 standard (AFAIK), but is in
> the 2002 standard.
> As stated pending.

Both Record Locking and file sharing were also in the X/Open CAE (but
SLIGHTLY different from '02 Standard).

> For IS files, this is very much dependent on the
> underlying software ie. Berkeley DB.
> BDB does not provide the necessary hooks to
> achieve this.
> We may be able to do it if we eventually use
> something else like VBISAM.
>
> Roger

NOTE:
  Both Screen Section (extended Accept/Display)
        and
  File Sharing/Record Locking

are in the "processor dependent" list of the '02 Standard. This means that a
"fully conforming" compiler need NOT support them.  (However, porting from
any X/Open conforming compiler will be EXTREMELY difficult)