[open-cobol-list] FD, EXTERNAL and FILE STATUS

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] FD, EXTERNAL and FILE STATUS
Date: Tue Jan 31 08:28:59 2006

Is a FILE STATUS related to a file descriptor or not?
Referring to Cobol85 test IC227A and module IC227A-1 -

We have in both progs an EXTERNAL FD relating to the same file.
In the main, we have a FILE STATUS "ABC" (Working).
In the module, we have FILE STATUS "DEF" in Linkage.
We have these circumstances in the main prog -
1) I/O to the file (main does I/O, status in ABC)
2) CALL module USING ... ABC  (module does I/O, status in DEF->ABC)
3) CALL module USING ... XYZ   (module does I/O, status in DEF->XYZ)

ie. The FILE STATUS floats and can't be seen to
be related to a file descriptor.
Is this true ?

Roger