[open-cobol-list] Introducing myself...

From: boscagarda-programming
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Introducing myself...
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 03:52:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi! I am Joseph. I used to use realia-cobol years ago. Haven't in a long long time. I just got open-cobol running on my Ubuntu machine. It was installed from the repositories with not a hitch. I ran the sample hello world program from the wiki. Just a note, it doesnt have line numbers, so a copy paste for me didnt work. (yes I know I need a cobol editor...gonna start looking for one..will take any suggestions).

I am happy as pie thus far. Going to use it on several projects as soon as I relearn cobol. Also I tried to sign up for the open-cobol website. Whenever I do, it just gives me a blank screen. I think it is a php error. Ive had that happen myself. Any help signing up would be greatly appreciated.

Also I plan to read the posts in the mailing list archive (ive already read a lot of them on open-cobol website forum). So hopefully I will learn more from there. I'm just curious if there is a place that shows what of the various cobols is implemented (it says part of 85, part of 2002 etc... how do I find out which parts?).

Also anyone who has installed it from the ubuntu repositories..if you could let me know where and doc files on it are, it would be greatly appreciated. I realize a lot of yall are very busy so I dont expect any fast answers. I am very patient.

Lastly, is there a way I could contribute to the project financially? I do not know C code so am unable to help there. I would be keen on working towards an implementation that allows integration with sql dbs.

Thank you kindly and best regards,
Joseph James Frantz