Re: [open-cobol-list] Sort utility within OC

From: Roger While
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Sort utility within OC
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 06:16:10 +0200

 > David Essex wrote:
 >> Perhaps first we should agree on what this SORT
 >> utility should be able to do.
 >>
 >> I think it should perform the following tasks.
 >>
 >> 1)
 >> Sort ASCII char-sets on descending/ascending fields,
 >> with the ability to remove duplicates.
 >> 2)
 >> Reformat input records (before sort).
 >> Reformat output records (after sort).
 >> 3)
 >> Sum numeric fields (packed, binary, zone decimals { EBCDIC binary ?})
 >> 4)
 >> Some form of omit-include conditionals.
 >
 > Well, I sincerely hope we would be able to sort on ANY field type.

I don't have a manual, but if memory serves me, the sort fields must be
alpha-numeric.

No, no. The Cobol SORT verb allows any field type.
(Strictly speaking, not quite - 2002 states -
 "Key data items shall not be of the class boolean, object, or pointer.")

Another thing, we should also cater for a COLLATING SEQUENCE.

Roger