Re: [open-cobol-list] Something not right when running a simple program

From: Alain
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Something not right when running a simple program with "cobcrun"
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 18:24:15 +0200

Hello Larry,

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:56:04 -0500
Larry Cullen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I'm running OpenCOBOL on Cygwin under Windows Vista.

Tht's not the better idea but your choice ;-)

> Downloaded and built OpenCOBOL from tarball around 8:00 PM Central DST
> July 31, 2008.

I have compiled and run your programs with my habitual parameters

> Attempted to compile a small program for dynamic operation using
> "cobcrun" by doing the following:
>
>     cobc HelloWorld.cob
>
> I run this simple "HelloWorld" program by typing:
>
>     cobcrun HelloWorld
>
> I get the following message:
>
>     libcob: No error
>
> I was expecting to see:
>
>     Hello world.

I well obtain "Hello world."

> I did the same thing for a slightly more complex program named
> ShowColors, but it works just fine?
>
> Both of the COBOL program source files work correctly when compiled using:
>
>     cobc -x HelloWorld.cob
>
> and
>
>     cobc -x ShowColors.cob
>
> I have attached.both of these source files for your enjoyment.

With 'ShowColors.cob', at compile time I obtains
ShowColors.cob: In paragraph 'DISP-NOBRIGHT':
ShowColors.cob:73: Error: syntax error, unexpected WORD, expecting LITERAL
ShowColors.cob: In paragraph 'DISP-BRIGHT':
ShowColors.cob:81: Error: syntax error, unexpected WORD, expecting LITERAL
ShowColors.cob: In paragraph 'DISP-FOREGROUND':
ShowColors.cob:90: Error: syntax error, unexpected WORD, expecting LITERAL
ShowColors.cob: In paragraph 'DISP-FOREGROUND-BRIGHT':
ShowColors.cob:98: Error: syntax error, unexpected WORD, expecting LITERAL

The problem is with
 WITH BACKGROUND-COLOR IS BACK-COLOR

I don't use that habitually and i suggest you read the documentation about
but you can try with
 WITH BACKGROUND-COLOR "1"
or any other number.

> Thanks,