Re: [open-cobol-list] For discussion: patch to get some terminal infoand

From: Wim Niemans
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] For discussion: patch to get some terminal infoand do scrolling
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:53:46 +0100

Hello Bill and All,

As a professional Cobol Developer using ACU I would very welcome the addition of the IS EXTERNAL FORM syntax of ACU Cobol. I do remember such feature from my mainframe time, somewhere in the seventies, when programmable terminals sent formatted data. I am using this feature extensively to run Cobol programs under a web server. The trick is, that the IS EXTERNAL FORM refers to a group item with elementary items describing the fields of the form, which is nowadays a html form with post method. ACU Cobol uses a C-library to convert the post-parameters using the fieldnames into the data description during ACCEPT. The DISPLAY proces simply calls a html template file and parses in a similar way the data into the page.
I would expect that a similar C-library would exist somewhere?

See also an older post of John Culleton and yogibear:
http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Cobol/comp.lang.cobol/2005-09/msg00227.html

What do you think?

Regards,
wim niemans ri

Op 8 jan 2009, om 23:07 heeft Bill Klein het volgende geschreven:

Just a warning to those not familiar with AcuCOBOL extensions. They have
EXTENSIVE extensions to Accept/Display/Screen section that include
everything needed up to and including "GUI's" via Accept/Display.

It is pretty impressive, but once you start adding support for some, you may
find demand for all of it.  I would suggest looking at the full syntax
before deciding which (if any) to include in OpenCOBOL.

To the best of my knowledge, NO other implementer has actually picked up the AcuCOBOL syntax. On the other hand, since they were acquired by Micro Focus it is POSSIBLE (I just don't know) that you may see some of this in the "native" MF compiler (to assist with migration from AcuCOBOL to MF - without
their Dialog Systems extensions)