Re: [open-cobol-list] Anybody use emacs to code COBOL?

From: vince coen
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Anybody use emacs to code COBOL?
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 17:12:04 +0100

Hi Duke;

On Thursday 06 August 2009, Duke Normandin wrote:

> > EMACS vs. VI is almost as old as Unix. I use Vim (Gvim)  because I
> > learned VI way back when.  But as they say in an even older
> > language "De gustibus non disputandum est."
>
> I also took 4 years of Latin in H.S. I guess I've just joined an "old
> farts" club - with Latin,

Not so much of "old farts", dont know about you but I'm only 62 and came into
programming in 1961.

> COBOL, kicking around; and me hacking
> M(umps) code as well. ;))

Have not seen that in 30 yrs or so. Didnt know it was still in use let alone
the hardware still working.

> I use VIM as well. I have nothing against it, really. How is it as a
> COBOL programming environment?

VIM is ok, but I use cream over it instead but use kate normally as the editor
of choice along with 2 terminal windows for compiling and testing. I find
that a lot easier than some of the IDE's that are around including Eclipse
but thats just me and you may well like it.

V.