Re: [open-cobol-list] Upper lower case and free format.

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Upper lower case and free format.
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 18:34:37 -0500

On Sunday 06 February 2011 13:52:04 michael wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 08:01 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> > We know that Open Cobol allows for upper/lower case to be used
> > freely and also for non-traditional line format i.e. no A and B
> > margins. Are these two features allowed by COBOL 85 or are they
> > later innovations?
>
> The 2002 standard allowed free-form and some compilers allowed it
> way before that.

OK. I also heard from Bill Klein that COBOL 85 allowed for upper and
lower case.

I am writing a little book on  business systems and while I like the
freedom of using upper and lower case to increase readability the
abolition of the fixed line format (A plus B) allows for too much
variation. The fixed structure actually helps readability IMO. So I am
safe to program in my usual style and call it COBOL 85.

If punch cards had lower case I suspect Grace Hopper would have used
U/L when she first designed the language in 1960 or so. But not only
punchcards but the interior character set of many 2nd generation
computers could not handle lower case. I had charge of a Honeywell
system (H110) that did not have lower case in 1970-1971.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: