[open-cobol-list] help with ./configure --help

From: Patrick
Subject: [open-cobol-list] help with ./configure --help
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:44:13 -0400

Hi Everyone

Brian has done some great work in using embedding languages with Cobol. These have Cobol as main.

I am wondering if it may be possible to use open Cobol on Android using their native development kit and on other devices. I want to try and use it as an extension language.

I doubt I will be able to get all of open Cobol over, so I was thinking about trying to compile it with as few packages as possible and a desktop machine before trying a different target.

It is nice to have screen support and sort abilities but without them I could still write various pieces of code that could then be reused in a full installation later, elsewhere.

The thing I like most about Cobol are the support section, nested programs and readability. I could live without most of the external dependencies if I had to and it would be much nicer then writing everything in Java or objective-c etc...

I can so this:

configure --without-db

But I don't know how to get rid of ncurses/curses. I have tried various options --without-libncurses, --without-ncurses etc..

My limited understanding of libtools is that it is good for creating dynamic libraries on non-posix platforms. I don't think I need this too and want to disable it.

Gary's book does not seem to cover this and while 'configure --help' mentions '--without-PACKAGE' it does not list the actual package names.

Thanks for reading-Patrick