Re: [open-cobol-list] Fortran and Cobol type systems

From: john Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Fortran and Cobol type systems
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 09:24:42 -0400

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 20:05:38 -0400
Patrick <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> There are some things I miss from Ada when I
> program in Cobol. Ada has facilities to match
> Ada and Cobol types through their
> interfaces.cobol package and I can use Ada but
> there are some things I don't like about Ada
> too.
>
> Now I am thinking that the strong typing and
> user defined types from Fortran will be enough
> for me.
>
> It looks like Fortran strings are padded right
> with spaces and that is encouraging. Does
> anyone know if the numeric and non-numeric type
> systems match well ?
>
> Brian has a neat Fortran-Cobol example on his
> site but it does not use an extensive set of
> types and I haven't been able to come up with
> much otherwise.
>
> Thanks for reading-Patrick

> HPCC Systems Open Source Big Data Platform from
> LexisNexis Risk Solutions Find What Matters
> Most in Your Big Data with HPCC Systems Open
> Source. Fast. Scalable. Simple. Ideal for Dirty
> Data. Leverages Graph Analysis for Fast
> Processing & Easy Data Exploration
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/hpccsystems

> Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain
> Hosting http://www.doteasy.com

I will just remind all about the words of Grace
Murray Hopper (quoted from memory): "I don't ask
FORTRAN to do the work of COBOL nor COBOL to do
the work of FORTRAN."

If you want a combination of COBOL and FORTRAN
consider the history of PL/I, launched with great
fanfare and the full support of then mighty IBM. I
once owned a copy of the (ponderous) official
standard for PL/I.  It disappeared in a few
years.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press