Re: [open-cobol-list] Open COBOL Build 426 Not Finding, Modules

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Open COBOL Build 426 Not Finding, Modules
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:00:57 -0400

Simon Sobisch wrote:
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:39:49 -0400
From: Patrick <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Open COBOL Build 426 Not Finding
        Modules
To: Marty Heyman <address@hidden>,
        address@hidden

Hi Marty

I am not much help to you , turns out I need help.

I copied Brian's example from the site, (I don't know why but your email
took out the newlines)

I downloaded and installed 426.

Why does this show it's version 1.1 ? Aren't we into the 2.* series ?

cobc -V
cobc (GNU Cobol) 1.1.0
Copyright (C) 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007 Keisuke Nishida
Copyright (C) 2006-2012 Roger While
Built     Sep 15 2014 10:24:16
Packaged  Jan 20 2014 07:40:53 UTC
C version "4.7.2"

I had this error:

cobc -x -lpq pgcob.cob
pgcob.cob:58: Error: syntax error, unexpected NULL, expecting Identifier

I haven't used null personally so I just created an variable null and
tried this:
cobc -x -lpq pgcob.cob
pgcob.cob:18: Error: syntax error, unexpected NULL, expecting EXTERNAL
or GLOBAL

So it does have knowledge of null but doesn't expect it in this position.

I am not much help yet but maybe you should post your version of gcc.
You could also compile it cobc -C and then use gcc in verbose mode so
that others would have more info.

I have to work right now but I will try to figure out where I am stuck
and maybe I will be able to help after, but probably not :(

Thanks
Hi Patrick,

it's not 100% clear what you mean with downloaded and installed 426. I
think you talk about the revision number but there are multiple branches
that are in r426.
The "soon trunk" is gnu-cobol-2.0 branch, while current trunk is 1.1
release (reportwriter branch isn't 2.1 (but the rw-parts from it will be
merged to trunk before 2.1 release), Ron Norman may should relabel it to
2.0).

The RETURNING NULL is a 2.x extension, therefore 1.1 errors out in the
sample given.

Simon

As an aside:
I've updated the FAQ, http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/gnucobol/#direct-postgresql-sample

On the linkage issue:
Something happened on Ubuntu/Debian and we are not playing nicely with the change in terms of dlopen, dlsym (I think).

More soon.

Cheers,
Brian