[open-cobol-list] How does a typical GnuCOBOL application work?

From: Mayuresh Kathe
Subject: [open-cobol-list] How does a typical GnuCOBOL application work?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 10:33:14 +0530

Hello,

Suppose I want to build a financial accounting system using GnuCOBOL.
Such a system would typically work under some type of Unix-like OS.
How is such a system designed?

Under a normal Web based scenario, there would be the server side application running on suppose the LAMP stack with clients connecting via Web browsers (usually).

In the hypothetical financial system mentioned above, can a Unix-like OS based server have users connecting to it over SSH and somehow start up connections to an already running GnuCOBOL instance?

Pardon my ignorance, but I have no exposure to mainframe architecture systems.

Thanks,

~Mayuresh