Re: [open-cobol-list] Setting up gnu-cobol with cygwin?

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Setting up gnu-cobol with cygwin?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 13:44:30 -0500

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> Have a COBOL course that went thru this semester, and have the gnu-cobol
> working fine on my Fedora 23 machines. Have some students that don't have
> access to linux, so wanted to setup a way for them to do it with windows.
Cool to know, and we'll try and help.

> Didn't want to setup something using the Microsoft C compiler, since as I
> understand it, it can only be used for evaluation purposes, and not for
> anything if it is free.

I think those rule are actually more freed now when it comes to the
Express versions, but I still like the concept of avoiding too much
Windows specifics.

> Did some testing using Cygwin, and some things works and others didn't.
> Perhaps someone has done this more on this. I originally tried the 1.1
> version, but the make check showed lots of failed tests. The version 2 I
> tried
> didn't have any test fail, but did show that some where skipped?
Skipped tests are purposeful, as there are currently some branches that
still need to be merged (for instance only reportwriter can pass the
REPORT SECTION tests).

> Was trying things, so didn't take full notes, so probable installed some
> things
> there were not needed, but may have not installed something that would fix
> the few issues I still see. On Fedora I use gedit for the editor, but haven't
> figured how to get that to work. It has installed, but then comes with a
> message that it can not connect? Just switched to using nano instead for
> now.
Would need more information, but Cygwin/X is quite the animal, and
perhaps best avoided.  If you have Cygwin installed with Cygwin/X the
gedit might only need an

    export DISPLAY=:0.1 (or what ever display Cygwin/X is configured for)

to properly connect to your Cygwin X11 server, but I'm betting there is
more to it, so again, Cygwin/X might be better left until later, once
other things are smoothed out.

> [...]
>  36: EXTERNAL AS data item                        FAILED (misc.at:172)
>  37: cobcrun validation                           FAILED (misc.at:214)
>  49: CALL m1. CALL m2. CALL m1.                   FAILED (misc.at:521)
>  78: Sticky LINKAGE                               FAILED (misc.at:1468)
>  79: COB_PRE_LOAD test                            FAILED (misc.at:1492)
>  80: COB_LOAD_CASE=UPPER test                     FAILED (misc.at:1516)
>  84: CALL with OMITTED parameter                  FAILED (misc.at:1626)
>  85: ANY LENGTH                                   FAILED (misc.at:1666)
>  96: CALL unusual PROGRAM-ID.                     FAILED (extensions.at:460)
> 105: NUMBER-OF-CALL-PARAMETERS                    FAILED
> (extensions.at:745)
> 106: PROCEDURE DIVISION USING BY ...              FAILED
> (extensions.at:797)
> 109: ENTRY                                        FAILED (extensions.at:885)
> 124: RETURN-CODE passing                          FAILED (return-code.at:85)
>
> ## ------------- ##
> ## Test results. ##
> ## ------------- ##
>
> ## -------------------- ##
> ## run.log was created. ##
> ## -------------------- ##
>
> Please send `run.log' and all information you think might help:
>
>    To: <address@hidden>
>    Subject: [OpenCOBOL 1.1] run: 34 35 36 37 49 78 79 80 84 85 96 105 106
> 109 124 failed
>

> You may investigate any problem if you feel able to do so, in which
> case the test suite provides a good starting point.
>
> FAIL: ./run-O
> ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
> ## OpenCOBOL 1.1 test suite: Data Representation. ##
> ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
>
> ## ------------- ##
> ## Test results. ##
> ## ------------- ##
>
> All 17 tests were successful.
> PASS: ./data-rep
>
> ## Data representation tests with -O option ##
>
> ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
> ## OpenCOBOL 1.1 test suite: Data Representation. ##
> ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
>
> ## ------------- ##
> ## Test results. ##
> ## ------------- ##
>
> All 17 tests were successful.
> PASS: ./data-rep-O
> 2 of 5 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> Makefile:417: recipe for target 'check-TESTS' failed
> make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/Student/open-cobol-1.1/tests'
> Makefile:533: recipe for target 'check-am' failed
> make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/Student/open-cobol-1.1/tests'
> Makefile:291: recipe for target 'check-recursive' failed
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/Student/open-cobol-1.1/tests'
> Makefile:339: recipe for target 'check-recursive' failed
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Student/open-cobol-1.1'
> Makefile:611: recipe for target 'check' failed

We'll get there soonish, but hopefully 1.1 support is going to quickly
become a thing of the past once we get stable 2.0 releases out into the
hands of the package builders for the various distributions and
operating system teams.

This is a good news, Michael, and I'd really like to help out with
getting a smooth educational experience built up and supported.

I haven't played with Cygwin in a few years now, having pretty much cut
all Windows ties on local work machines, but if you are serious about
setting up a curriculum, that would be good incentive to sit down and
figure out how to get GnuCOBOL into the Cygwin package system so that
students would only need to run setup.exe to get things installed and
ready for class.

(Take that as a hint to pester, and I'd be happy to dig in and see if we
can't get a clean Cygwin install package that would be acceptable to the
Cygwin teams).

Cheers,
Brian