gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] .gfd i18n (internationalisation)

From: Jan Ischebeck
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] .gfd i18n (internationalisation)
Date: 20 May 2003 21:54:18 +0200

Am Mit, 2003-04-23 um 22.17 schrieb John Lenton:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:37:43AM +0300, Arturas wrote:
> > Possible solution would be the following. We could add section
> > <translations language="">....</translations> (or something like
> > that) to .gfd file. Every label (string) from .gfd form would be
> > looked up in this section (something like <string id="bla bla in
> > English">translation here in German</string> for example). If string
> > in <translations> is found, according translation would be loaded
> > from this section. Then label would be displayed on a screen.
> > However, this solution probably is not the best solution, so please,
> > criticise it! :)
>
> The way I'd *expect* it to work is this:
>
>    <label lang='en' text='blahdiblah'>
>    <label lang='es' text='bla bla bla'>
>
> but that's probably just my docbook showing. Oh, and XHTML. Oh, and
> ... well, a couple more that I just happen to have used.

It seems like gnome (hints?) and dia uses something similar:
(from
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/translate-gnome/other.html)

               <Hint>
                <Content>To manipulate a panel applet, right click
            anywhere over the applet</Content>
                <Content xml:lang="cs">Manipulaci s aplety je mo¾no dosáhnout
            pravým tlaèítkem my¹i</Content>
               </Hint>

Another way for specifing translations, which would be much easier to implement
in forms,
(especially if you want to change language on the fly) is to just add these
translations
as child objects:

i.e. <label text="bla" Char:x='1' Char:y='1' Char:width='3'>
       <translation lang="de" text="blablablabla" Char:width='12'>
       <translation lang="en" text="bla">
     <label>

for ease of use, it would f.e. be possible to let that translation
object automaticly update the attributs from its parent on
initialisation, so that just a minimum of code changes are needed.

just my 2cents.

--
Jan Ischebeck <address@hidden>