gnue

RH72 install & bugs

From: Scott Lamb
Subject: RH72 install & bugs
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 14:33:34 -0600 (CST)

I just installed GNUe on my RedHat 7.2 desktop. There are a couple things
I had to do beyond Keith Nasman's guide so PostgreSQL would work:

- Install the "mx" package.

  I downloaded egenix-mx-base-2.0.3-py2.1_1.src.rpm from
  <http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html>
  and built it with "rpm --rebuild", then installed
  /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/egenix-mx-base-2.0.3-py2.1_1.i386.rpm

  The prebuilt i386 RPM on that page doesn't work on RedHat 7.2. It uses
  /usr/local/lib/python2.1 paths instead of /usr/lib/python2.1.

- Install pypgsql 1.6.

  I downloaded pypgsql-1.6.tar.gz from
  <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=16528>.
  I changed include_dirs in setup.py to be "/usr/include/pgsql" and
  library_dirs to be "/usr/lib", corresponding to the dirs in RedHat's
  postgresql-devel RPM (which must be installed). Then
  "python2 setup.py install"

In the process I ran into some bugs I don't know how to fix (in the latest
CVS version):

- Non-standard locales (try LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8") don't work well.
  Lots of exceptions thrown and some important text missing.

- The error message when a driver fails to load is not helpful.
  GConnections.py has this in _load_dbdriver:

    try:
      dbdriver = dyn_import("gnue.common.dbdrivers.%s" % (driver))
    except ImportError, err:
      GDebug.printMesg(1,'ImportError importing driver %s' % (driver))
      GDebug.printMesg(1,err)
      raise GDataObjects.ProviderNotSupportedError, \
         "No database driver found for provider type '%s'" % driver

  ...but the GDebug lines don't actually work for some reason. I had to
  comment out the exception-catching stuff so I could see the original
  ImportError.

- The property editor doesn't let me edit things.

  On Windows with the 29 Jan builds, I could edit pages, data sources, and
  blocks. I couldn't get it to associate a text entry box with a field...it
  just wouldn't let me edit the "field" property.

  On Linux with today's CVS, I can't even edit data sources. I can look at
  all of the properties but can't change anything. I can edit Pages and
  the Form but that's it.

- On Windows with the 29 Jan build, I can't open existing GFD files in
  the designer. It says "I do not know what to do with a .gfd file!"
  Works fine with today's CVS on Linux, so either fixed or
  platform-specific.

Well, I'm getting closer anyway. ;)

Thanks,
Scott Lamb