gnue

Re: A question on two version of python

From: Stanley A. Klein
Subject: Re: A question on two version of python
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:55:10

At 12:03 PM 2/18/2002 -0500, address@hidden wrote:

>Hi All,
>I'm running Redhat version 7.2 and I did want to override
>python 1.5.2 that comes with this version of redhat. So, I installed
>python 2.1.2 in /usr/local. How can I tell GNUe to use the version
>I installed in /usr/local. When I run ./setup.py --help it show that
>it see python1.5.2.
>Later.
>Wayne

If you plan to use printconf, you need to keep python-1.5.2.  You also need
to be careful installing the PyXML 0.7 that is required with Python 2.1 to
run gnue.

Printconf is a printer configuration tool that is new with RedHat 7.2.
There may be other RedHat 7.2 tools that also use Python 1.5.2.

When I installed PyXML 0.7, I made the mistake of doing it as either "rpm
-Uvh" or "rpm -Fvh".  That caused it to uninstall the PyXML 0.66 (?) that
came with RedHat 7.2.

I then started getting a Python traceback during the bootup when it got to
starting lpd.  The message involved not being able to import pyexpat.  It
turned out that  /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/xml/utils/qp_xml.py had
been deleted on the uninstall.  The final part of the message said "No
printers defined".

I deleted PyXML 0.7 and reinstalled both PyXML 0.66 and 0.7, using "rpm
-ivh".  That got rid of the boot sequence traceback and the problems I
previously had running gnue.

BTW, the rpm's install python 2.1.2 in /usr/lib/python2.1, and PyXML 0.7 in
/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages.  Python 1.5.2 and the PyXML 0.66 install
in /usr/lib/python1.5 and /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages, respectively.

Stan Klein